Thursday, May 20, 2010

book soundtrack

Am I the only one that thinks books can have soundtracks? When I'm reading a book, there's basically a movie playing in my head of the action I'm reading about. And all good movies have a good soundtrack to go along with them. Ergo, books have soundtracks.

And for Thistleswitch I think it's rather obvious that fiddley music is called for. It's easiest to write the story when I'm listening to the Vitamin String Quartet or other artists with the same sound. The songs are so jaunty and carefree and fiddley (second time I've used that word now, I know) that I can't help but think of the Thistlethought and the quirkiness of the story. The first time I ever heard one of their songs was while I was supposed to be writing a timed English essay, and it took all of my concentration to write about the novel I had read instead of the novel I wanted to write.

As of now, my "book soundtrack" is as follows. In no particular order, with no really particular scenes to go with them:

Into the Blue - Jonae
Back in Black – Vitamin String Quartet
The Way We Get By – Vitamin String Quartet
Perpetuum Mobile – Penguin CafĂ© Orchestra
Summer Storm - Jonae
Who Made Who – Vitamin String Quartet
Will’s Song – Jennifer Thomas
Time is Running Out – The Section Quartet
Phenomena – Vitamin String Quartet
Such Great Heights – The Section Quartet
Spectrum of the Sky – Break of Reality
Requiem for a Tower - Escala


Some of them are a bit different than the fiddley sound, but all of them make me think of Thistleswitch. And I'm sure I'll be adding more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment, you're all that and a bag of chips. Like, high class chips. From Trader Joe's, or something.