Tuesday, November 30, 2010

man overboard!

To quote an earlier blog post:

"So this coming month might either be really productive on the Thistleswitch front, or not productive in the slightest. We'll see how it goes."

As the total lack of updates to this blog for the past month may indicate, the latter was definitely the case. I haven't written Thistleswitch - I haven't written anything - in the past month. I attempted to participate in NaNo, but I didn't feel like writing at all. (Neither did a good friend of mine, so we've decided to make January our National Novel Writing Month. Provided, of course, that we don't have uber-writers'-block when January rolls around.)

We just read Haroun and the Sea of Stories in my comparative literature class, and it's one of my new favorite books. It has a vibe similar to Order of Odd Fish and Thistleswitch, which we all know that I adore. And it made me want to pull Thistleswitch out again and start editing. My major job right now is figuring out the balance for the voice - how to keep the stuffy narrator tone without going overboard. Right now, I'm not only overboard; in some places, the ship has already sailed away without me and I'm about to be shark food. So I need to work on that.

After finals, I've got almost a full month of free time for Winter Break. Hopefully I'll be able to swim to shore and get my bearings in that time. And this ocean/boat metaphor really isn't working at all, so I'm going to drop it now.

Drop it like an anchor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment, you're all that and a bag of chips. Like, high class chips. From Trader Joe's, or something.