Thursday, July 8, 2010

fifty fairy birth gifts

I took a day to savor the fact that I actually completed a novel. But, as mentioned in this previous blog post, when publishing a novel an author has a MUCH better chance if they have more than one book in the works. And, frankly, I've got six different main characters bouncing around in my head now that Merry, Niko and Aries have finally gotten their story told and relaxed - I've got three different stories that I desperately want to write. Can you blame me for wanting to get started?

I haven't actually "started" my second book, yet. I already had a brainstorm document going for it, and I've spent the majority of the afternoon figuring out some of the characters. Since the main character, Jovie, is one of the seven daughters of the king of Afalanphra, that means that I have to actually name and acquaint myself with all seven of those daughters. And, because a big part of the story centers around fairy birth gifts, I've been figuring out five unique personality traits for each princess, plus the three princes that are involved in the story. This site has been fantastically helpful.

Sometime in the next few days, I might write my little prologue chapter for this as-of-yet-unnamed sort-of-sequel to Thistleswitch. Or I might take just a few more days to savor not writing before I jump back into another 70,000 word novel.

Yikes.

I wonder what percent of people who say they're going to write a second novel actually do it? Less than two percent?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you comment, you're all that and a bag of chips. Like, high class chips. From Trader Joe's, or something.